Monday, April 26, 2010

Illogical social justice

I’ve been thinking a lot about the idea of social justice and why those who do not belong to Jesus, or serve and know him as their savior will serve other people. At this point in time my ignorant and uniformed mind cannot come up with a solution for this question. I met a man who loves people with all that he has in him and wants to do right by them to help them out of a negative situation when most people, Christian or not have given up, and deemed the whole cause as a waste of time. Against all logic this man continues to give his time, money and energy to what he feels is right. The part that makes this so hard for me to understand is why? He doesn’t love Jesus, this is not a presumption, I know this for a fact, in fact he is a very devoted and learned member of an entirely separate faith that has no salvation or redemption element to it at all. He will gain nothing from this. If this man loved Jesus he would be someone that I would listen to and take guidance from.
When I think about this situation in my head, ( by the way this man is only one example that has crossed my path over the last month or so). What comes to mind is the great command in
Mark 12:28-34 “And one of the scribes came up and heard them disputing with one another, and seeing that he answered them well, asked him” Which command is the most important of all? Jesus answered “The most important is Hear O Israel; The Lord our God, the Lord is one. And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength. The second is this; You shall love your neighbor as yourself. There is no other command greater than these.”
When I Read this passage, there are two components. The first is to love God, and the second is to love people (aka your neighbors). Most people get one or the other but not both. A lot of the time Christians love God but not people. On the other hand non Christians love people but not God. I do not think that it is truly possible to love either unless you love them both. There is no division among these two. Jesus is originally asked which command (singular) is the greatest. He pairs these together for a reason.
Then I started to ask myself is helping other people because Jesus told me to the best reason? I think that from a Christian standpoint there is definitely an element of obedience that needs to be instilled in us, but this obedience is intended to be from a transformed heart and mind. Romans 12:2 “Do not be conformed to this world but be transformed by the renewal of your mind.” Our actions must reflect what we believe, and they do whether we like it or not. This does not mean that our obedience cannot be a result of a genuine desire. If a rookie basketball player wants to get better, what does he do? He asks his coach what he needs to work on, and if he truly does want to improve he will act in obedience to the guidance that has been given to him. This is the same mind set. If we love Jesus we will act in obedience to what he has instructed is to do. We will love God and love people.

1 comment:

  1. Very well articulated, my friend.I love that you pointed out the singular question, double response - I hadn't really thought about that before!

    ReplyDelete