Saturday, November 6, 2010

Ask the first not the second.

When reading, studying and even watching ( DVD courtesy of Grosvernor parks actually really good) the gospel of John I began to see a really warped form of love.

In John 6:28 a question is asked of Jesus. A question that all Christians ask themselves. We have all kinds ways of trying to figure this out, to decided what it means to serve God and how we do it. The response that Jesus gives is very reassuring for those of us who believe in him. The question is simply “What must we do to be doing the work of God?”
His answer is clear and straight to the point. (v29) “ that you believe in him whom he has sent”
This question seems to be asked ( as far as I can tell) in humility and in an honest manor of trying to serve a God whom he loves. This the desire of all people who love God and therefore love Jesus. To serve and be able to be apart of what God is doing. This is similar to the way that a romantic love behaves, since I love my Fiancé I want to be around her and be able to do what she wants me to do, because I want to make her happy. What God wants us to do is just believe in him. This is really a simple request considering what he has done for us and given to us.


A second question is asked. This time it is not asked out of genuine love and in an attempt to please God “Then what signs do you do, that we may see and believe you? What works do you perform?
This is a question that asks Jesus to prove himself. As if to say (through under tones) If you want my love and you want me to accept you what can you do for me?. This is not love, this is a contractual agreement. If we keep the same example of romantic love. I do not wait to do do things for my fiance until after she proves herself and does something for me. If I did act this way, it would be a good example of a relationship that is going to go down hill fast, once we hit an inevitable a hard spot. From what I have ever read in the Bible I have yet to find a spot where Jesus wants to prove himself before we believe.
The second statement made by the same person in verse 31 displays a sense of arrogance and entitlement. 31 “Our fathers ate the manna in the wilderness; as it is written “he gave them bread from heaven to eat”. Of course this means that because his ancestors were given food in the dessert which was a miracle done by Moses that means that this man who claims to be God must be able to do something at least that amazing for him. Once again a contractual agreement.


The response of Jesus to this statement will do three things:
1 It will carry the same theme as what Jesus said in John 5:46 which is “ For if you believed Moses, you would have believed me, for he wrote of me. But if you do not believe his writings how will you believe my words?”.
That all of scripture talks about Jesus and how he is the fulfillment of it all.

2. It will explain that not only did Moses ( who the Jews took much pride in) write of Jesus but also that Moses was not that amazing, God through Moses was amazing.

3. It will put the emphasis back on Jesus who is fulfilling all that Moses taught and all that the Jews love about God.

Jesus’ response is “ Truly truly I say to you, it was not Moses who gave you the bread from heaven, but my father gives you the true bread from heaven. For the bread of God is he who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world." (John6:32-33)

The bread that was given to the Jews in the dessert, a time in their history that they perceived as God proving himself to them. Jesus says that the bread that they received was just a pre-show, just a training exercise for them to learn how to recognize the real deal. They loved God because he gave them what they wanted, Jesus says that He is the real bread of life and he is what Moses wrote about, and he is the one who gave them bread from heaven. He is the true bread of life. (John 6:35). Except they didn’t want him, even though they should have recognized him.

Love is not a contract. Love is phrased in a way that just asks, how can I serve?. Without a sense of entitlement and without bargaining and asking for a sample.

No comments:

Post a Comment